Sunday, March 2, 2008

Favorite Meal of the Day

My job this trip is to find interesting places to eat. Let's face it. I'm the one who needs to eat on a semi regular schedule, else I get cranky. So it's only fitting that my job is to schedule the meals on our Great American Roadtrip.
I know at least one person who has professed to loving breakfast any time of day. Therefore, first up is Pancake Pantry. Founded in 1960, it's the first pancake house in Tennessee.
You may have guessed that they serve pancakes here, and you'd be right. I'm already looking forward to choosing between the Caribbean pancakes with bananas, pecans coconut and powdered sugar, or the sweet potato cakes. Then there's the wild blueberry (pictured). And one must not forget the Swiss chocolate pancakes. They also have eggs and ham and hash browns, if you're not in the mood for pancakes. And the OJ is always fresh. That's what they say, anyways.
And they'll prepare box lunches to go -- no empty box there. HA!
It's a good thing I've decided to lose a few pounds before we leave for this trip.

9 comments:

jen said...

While looking up the Pigrim Diner in Salem for Julie yesterday (she's *finally* going to go!), I came across the web site dinercity.com. It's not comprehensive (it doesn't have American City Diner here in DC), but it does have diners across America. IJS.

joy said...

Man, your job was to find the restaurants along the way...i love how you've already read the menus, too.

Erika said...

Thanks, Jen!

Half the fun of this part is the menu, Joy. Hee.

Erika said...

Huh. Apparently this Pancake Pantry website is very old. The actual address really IS in Nashville: 1796 21st Ave S
Nashville, TN 37212

joy said...

Oh, yes, cuz that's not disconcerting at all. OML, I didn't take into account all the wild goose chasing.

Anonymous said...

I've have heard that these pancakes are amazing. I have been told that if you don't want to wait an hour or more then you have get there when they open.

joy said...

Ooooh, thanks for the tip, bethie! That's really good to know, for planning purposes.

Anonymous said...

I don't like pancakes unless they have macadamia nuts or pecans in them.

I like waffles but not from Waffle House.

Anonymous said...

When I ate there in the mid-90s, it was a dive but had great pancakes. Hopefully they've renovated! Definitely worth your time, though. Angela/LSU